+1 206 414 1211

Most Common Electrical Questions

Light switches not working properly
Dimmer switches that don’t adjust light properly can often be attributed to shoddy workmanship or sub-standard products. If you have just moved into a new house and find switches that don’t seem to activate anything at all, this might be a sign the switches have been superseded and fixtures removed, or it could be a fault in the outlet, circuit or wiring. Consult with an electrician if you’re experiencing issues with switches in your house. Want some electrical safety tips for your home?

Circuit breaker tripping frequently
High wattage items like microwaves and hairdryers can trip circuit breakers, particularly when other power consuming items are used on the same source. A circuit breaker is designed to protect you and your home, so when it does trip, that’s a sign it’s doing its job. Look at what you were using when it tripped. If it was a hair dryer, try using the low setting. Alternatively, limit the electrical usage on a single circuit while high watt devices are in use.

High electrical bill
Reducing the cost of your electrical bill could include:
- Switching to a more cost effective provider
- Identifying electrical devices that may be causing power surges
- Patching leaks in the hot water system
- Unplugging appliances and chargers when not in use
- Repairing damaged wiring or circuits.

Light bulbs burning out too often
There are a number of reasons your lights can be burning out too often:
- Wattage is too high
- Insulation is too close to the light
- Bad wiring on the circuit
- Bad wiring on the mains
- On a dimmer switch, too much total wattage on one switch
- If flickering there is probably a poor connection on the circuit
- Isolating the issue can be tricky for non-professionals. If you’re going through light bulbs like it’s nobody’s business, it it might be worth reaching out to an electrician to help identify the root cause of light bulb burnouts.

Recessed light ‘goes out’ and comes back on
Recessed lighting (like downlights) are equipped with safety devices that cut out power to the light when it gets too hot. You’re either using too high wattage on the bulb, or insulation in the ceiling is too close to the bulb.
Check for excessive heat.
Check overhead lights every so often:
Are they producing excessive heat?
What is the total wattage on the circuit?
Are they insulated properly?
Overheated lighting can be a fire risk, so be sure test regularly.

My Electrical Services