+1 206 414 1211

5 MOST COMMON ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

1. Frequent electrical surges
Electrical surges can be caused by anything from lightning strikes, damage to power lines, faulty appliances and bad electrical wiring in the house. While an actual surge only lasts a microsecond, frequent surges can damage the electrical components connected to your home, degrading their life expectancy significantly.
If you experience frequent electrical surges, the culprit is probably an electrical device connected to the home grid or the wiring itself. Try removing any cheaply made devices or powerboards from the outlet to see if this prevents the surges. Otherwise, it might be time to consult a professional electrician.

2. Sags and dips in power
Like electrical surges, sags and dips in electrical supply can often be attributed to devices connected to your power grid that are faulty or made with substandard materials, and draw a lot of power when they are turned on.

Blog

3. Circuit overload
One of the biggest causes of frequent circuit breaker tripping is the overloading of power boards. Most homes and apartments, even newer ones, don’t have enough power points to cater to, for example, a complete home entertainment unit setup. If circuit breakers in your home are tripping frequently, it could be down to circuit overload. Prevent this by:
- Never daisy-chain power boards
- Remove devices that aren’t in use (for example, phone chargers still draw power even when not connected)
- Spread your electrical needs around. Don’t overburden a single circuit
- Be mindful of how you connect devices around the home – what’s in use, and what is unnecessary.

4. Lights too bright or dim
If some lights around the house seem excessively bright but others are dim, then there’s two probable causes:
- Different types of lights with different wattage: Check that all the globes are identical.
- Bad main neutral connection: This will continue to cause problems for the home until it is fixed by a professional.

5. Electrical shocks
An electrical shock is a nasty experience. Even though they are usually pretty mild, something akin to a static shock, they remind us that electricity is dangerous when not probably utilised.
Electrical shocks typically happen when you turn a device on or off. The issue could be with the appliance, or it could be in the wiring. You can test this by plugging in another device and seeing if the results are reproducible, however you’re just risking another electrical shock. In most cases, it might be better to speak with an electrician.

What to do if problems persist If electrical problems are ongoing around your home, you should consider contacting a electrician. Safety around the home is paramount, so don’t leave anything to change. Get in touch with a professional, to help diagnose the problems with your home electricals for peace of mind and safety assurance.

Electrical Services